Wodaj helps with mentor-mentee pairings each of which is unique and adapted to fit your child's interests and personality. During meetings and outings, mentors provide an informal and fun learning environment so that your child can have fun and learn about their racial identity, cultural heritage, and ethnic language.
Our mentors are wholly dedicated to providing the best friendship and mentoring experience for their mentees. We seek a diverse group of accomplished, culturally-aware, and passionate students and young adults to start our mentorship program.
Why mentor an Ethiopian transracially-adopted child?
- To help an adopted child navigate their identity as a person of color living in Denver.
- To be a “mirror” and role model for an adoptee ~ someone of significance in their life that looks like them
- To proactively prevent an identity crisis, which can happen in the absence of diversity in an adoptee’s life
- To support adoptive parents, who lack the experiential knowledge only you can provide. While parental love is critical, when issues around race and “differentness” come to the surface, they need your help.
What is the process to become a Wodaj mentor?
- Fill out an application.
- Receive a match and complete an online background check (it's all part of the online matching service, we'll walk you through it)
- Meet and greet with Wodaj staff (1 hour, somewhere near your school, home or work)
- Complete online training (<2 hours)
- Get matched with an adoptee and have fun!
How does mentorship benefit me?
- Fulfill community service hour requirements - your time commitment can be as little as 4 hours a month.
- Network for your future career and get connected to summer internships via professionals within the adoptive parents' community.
- Improve your self-esteem knowing you have the opportunity to shape the next generation of Ethiopian leaders!
- Have fun while learning more about yourself and adding value to a child’s life
Application Process: Fill out the application to start the process. You will be asked a series of questions to help us get to know you better and identify your preferences and interests. Your information will be used to provide the best mentee match.